Wharram from Clasic Boat September 2017
Martin
2017-08-04 10:50:13 UTC
"My memories of Moitessier
The article on Bernard Moitessier’s Joshua in the August issue contains the
line: “One person who got to know Moitessier well is catamaran designer
James Wharram….”
In 1956, together with two German women, I made my first successful
catamaran crossing of the Atlantic, aboard a self-built 23ft 6in catamaran
called Tangaroa (I was a follower of the Frenchman Eric de Bisschop, who
had studied Polynesian migration in the Pacific, and I set out to prove his
theories with my voyage).
Arriving in Trinidad in January 1957, our catamaran, due to Teredo
worm, was finished! It seems I was an embarrassment to the semi-colonial
government. So, for somewhere economical to live, I built a Kon-Tiki style
bamboo raft as our home and moored it o. the coast near Port of Spain.
About a year after our arrival, two single-handed sailors turned up
alongside the raft after a long crossing from South Africa via St Helena.
They were Bernard Moitessier and his friend Harry Wakelam.
They anchored close to our house raft. Bernard came on board the raft,
saw two attractive women and a baby, a desk overflowing with pages of
the draft of a book I was writing and a drawing easel with the lines of a
new 40ft catamaran design, for us to build and sail the oceans.
Living on the raft was a paradise. Bernard’s opinions and comments
were terse. “You will rot here. You must go back to the sea. You must build
this boat,” he said, pointing to my design drawings on the board.
To my many excuses, his answers were immediate: “I will help you to
begin this boat.” So began my friendship with Bernard Moitessier and the
start of the building of the 40ft Rongo, the first catamaran to sail the north
Atlantic from west to east (1959).
However, Bernard’s real spiritual connection was with my German
partner Ruth Merseburger-Wharram, a post-war German woman of the
type collectively referred to as ‘Trümmel Frauen’ (the ‘Rubble Women’ who
got post-war Germany going again).
Ruth, like Bernard, saw the oceans not as a place to be conquered, or to
be competed over in racing, but as a spiritual home, a space where the
mind can be free, as in mystical thinking. Ruth kept up correspondence
with Bernard until his death. (She also corresponded with other ‘sea
mystics’. We still have many of her files to sort out).
Robin Knox-Johnston may have won the Golden Globe Race and
established the concept of the ‘man against the seas hero’. At the same
time, Bernard Moitessier established the mystic concept of man/woman
finding an inner relationship with the vastness of the world’s oceans.
James Wharram, James Wharram Designs, Truro, Cornwall"
Martin in Zuid Holland
pieterw4809
2017-08-04 12:45:01 UTC
Post by Martin
"My memories of Moitessier
The article on Bernard Moitessier’s Joshua in the August issue contains the
line: “One person who got to know Moitessier well is catamaran designer
James Wharram….”
Moitessier is mentioned in James' book as well. M. was is the same
round the world race as Donald Crowhurst, wasn't he?
--
Cheers, Pieter

"Ik heb menigmaal in woord en geschrift mijn steun verwoord aan
Nederlanders
van buitenlandse herkomst, aan illegaal hier verblijvende buitenlanders
en
aan marginale groepen in de samenleving. Dit alles vanuit de idee dat
eenieder recht heeft op een plekje onder de zon en vanuit de gedachte
dat de
veelkleurigheid van stad en samenleving zonder meer een grote
verrijking is.
Niet alleen van onze economie, maar ook van onze cultuur. Wat zouden we
zonder al die vogels van verschillende pluimage een armetierige en
saaie
samenleving hebben!"
Pim Fortuijn: Het zakenkabinet Fortuijn:
Martin
2017-08-04 14:23:21 UTC
Post by pieterw4809
Post by Martin
"My memories of Moitessier
The article on Bernard Moitessier’s Joshua in the August issue contains the
line: “One person who got to know Moitessier well is catamaran designer
James Wharram….”
Moitessier is mentioned in James' book as well.
The book he was writing on his Kontiki raft?
Post by pieterw4809
M. was is the same
round the world race as Donald Crowhurst, wasn't he?
I think so. He didn't cheat did he in the To the South Atlantic and Back race?
:-)

The Fastnet Race starts this weekend. It could be interesting if there are more
gales. UK shipping forecast have been wrong on and off for almost a week.
Martin in Zuid Holland
pieterw4809
2017-08-05 11:32:08 UTC
Post by Martin
Post by pieterw4809
Post by Martin
"My memories of Moitessier
The article on Bernard Moitessier’s Joshua in the August issue contains the
line: “One person who got to know Moitessier well is catamaran designer
James Wharram….”
Moitessier is mentioned in James' book as well.
The book he was writing on his Kontiki raft?
I believe so, "Two girls, two catamarans"
Post by Martin
Post by pieterw4809
M. was is the same
round the world race as Donald Crowhurst, wasn't he?
I think so. He didn't cheat did he in the To the South Atlantic and Back
race? :-)
A genius in a way. :-)
Post by Martin
The Fastnet Race starts this weekend. It could be interesting if there are
more gales. UK shipping forecast have been wrong on and off for almost a
week.
Everybody can sail fast in a gale, but Bft 2 will show the real
sailors. ;-)

Martin
2017-08-05 12:40:06 UTC
Post by pieterw4809
Post by Martin
Post by Martin
Post by pieterw4809
M. was is the same
round the world race as Donald Crowhurst, wasn't he?
I think so. He didn't cheat did he in the To the South Atlantic and Back
race? :-)
A genius in a way. :-)
True, but not in electronic boat applications like he claimed! The wreck of
Teignmouth Electron was discovered abandoned and ashore in the Cayman Islands a
few years ago http://panexplore.com/teignmouthelectron/. I never saw the film
they made about him and his boat.

Moitessier decided not to return to Europe see
http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/July-August-08/On-this-Day--Donald-Crowhurst-s-Boat-Found-Abandoned.html
Post by pieterw4809
Post by Martin
The Fastnet Race starts this weekend. It could be interesting if there are
more gales. UK shipping forecast have been wrong on and off for almost a
week.
Everybody can sail fast in a gale, but Bft 2 will show the real
sailors. ;-)
for example :-)
http://www.omropfryslan.nl/live/omrop-fryslan-tv
--